The Week Ahead: December 17 - 23, 2012
Monday, December 17
- Today's the day when Vermont's three electors convene and formally cast the state's votes for President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in the Electoral College. The group — Kevin B. Christie of Hartford, Sherry Merrick of Post Mills and William Sander of Jeffersonville — were set to convene at the Statehouse at 10 a.m. Christie will appear on today's "Vermont Edition" on Vermont Public Radio.
- At 2 p.m., Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger presides over a naturalization ceremony for new citizens — in federal bankruptcy court, of all places. Welcome to America!
- At 6 p.m., the Winooski City Council will hear a debriefing from Mayor Michael O'Brien about his recent trip to Florida's Eglin Air Force Base to hear the F-35 fighter jets in person.
- At 7 p.m., the Burlington City Council will take up the citywide ward redistricting plan passed in committee last week that would reduce the number of wards from seven to four, and reduce the number of councilors from 14 to 12. The council also takes up a tar sands resolution sponsored by three Democrats and two Progressives to, among other things, investigate divesting city pension funds from fossil fuel companies that utilize oil extracted from tar sands.
Rest of the week after the break...
Tuesday, December 18
- Today's the big holiday show on "Charlie + Ernie + Lisa" on WVMT 620 AM, when a parade of political characters will make guest appearances. Starting at 6 a.m.
- At 9 a.m., climate activist Bill McKibben is the guest on "The Mark Johnson Show" on WDEV 96.1 FM.
- At noon, the topic on "Vermont Edition" is how Arctic communities are changing, and the guest is someone from The Center for Circumpolar Studies, an educational consortium based in Vermont that studies the subject.
Wednesday, December 19
- At 7:10 a.m., Winooski Mayor Michael O'Brien will go on "Charlie + Ernie + Lisa" on WVMT 620 AM to beleatedly discuss his F-35 junket — er, fact-finding trip.
- At 10 a.m., U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy convenes the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill for a hearing on "The State of the Right to Vote After the 2012 Election."
Thursday, December 20
- At 10:20 a.m., Congressman Peter Welch is the guest on "The Mark Johnson Show" on WDEV 96.1 FM.
Friday, December 21
- Today is the end of the world. We're not sure exactly what time, we think it might be around 12:21. Thanks a lot, stupid Mayans!
Saturday, December 22
- If the world has, in fact, not ended, you might think about going out for a nice walk. Or breakfast.
Sunday, December 23