The Week Ahead: January 21-27, 2013
Here's what's happening in Vermont news and politics this week. Got a newsworthy event for next week's calendar? Email by Friday to submit.
Monday, January 21
- President Barack Obama is sworn in for a second term today. Watch all the action starting at 11 a.m. live on Vermont Public Television.
Tuesday, January 22
- At noon, Vermont education secretary Armando Vilaseca will discuss the governor's education reform plans on Vermont Public Radio's "Vermont Edition." Listen live.
- At 2:30, three House committees will hold a joint hearing in Montpelier on rising gas prices, at which U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and archnemesis, gasoline mogul Skip Vallee, are both set to testify.
- At 4 p.m., Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. delivers the keynote speech for UVM's Martin Luther King Day festivities. At Ira Allen Chapel. No word on a postspeech beer summit.
- At 7:30, Middlebury College hosts a panel discussion on whether social concerns should influence how colleges invest endowments.
Wednesday, January 23
- At 9 a.m., the House Government Operations committee takes up a bill revoking pensions from public employees convicted of certain crimes. Call it "Deeghan's Law."
- At 10 a.m., worlds collide when Gov. Peter Shumlin meets with students in former governor Jim Douglas' Middlebury College class in his ceremonial office at the Statehouse.
- At noon, "Vermont Edition" hosts the left-right economic duo Paul Cillo of the Public Assets Institute and UVM economics prof Art Woolf for a chitty-chat on the state's economy. Listen live.
- At 5:25, Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger will take your questions live on the "Burlington Mayor's Show" on CCTV Channel 17. Stream it here.
Thursday, January 24
- At 8 a.m., Mayor Weinberger is the guest on Charlie, Ernie & Lisa on WVMT 620 AM.
- At 2 p.m., Gov. Shumlin delivers his state budget address in the House chamber. Listen live on VPR or watch it live on VPT.
- At 7 p.m., the Peace and Justice Center hosts a community reading of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech at its waterfront store in Burlington.
Friday, January 25
- At 9 a.m., Gov. Shumlin is the guest on "The Mark Johnson Show" on WDEV 96.1 FM.
- Get your VT politics fix with Stewart Ledbetter and crew on "Vermont This Week," 7:30 p.m. on Vermont Public Television.
Saturday, January 26
Sunday, January 27
- "You Can Quote Me" airs at 11 a.m. on WCAX-TV. Check the station's website later this week for guests.
- In case you missed it, watch the rebroadcast of "Vermont This Week" at 11:30 a.m. on VPT.